View Single Post
Old 24th October 2004, 15:39   #18  |  Link
Didée

Thanks everyone for the warming comments. Always a pleasure to serve the community

I have now added the possibility to exclude the borders from processing, as oo_void suggested. It works similar as the same-named parameter in iiP, but allows to control the size of the borders that will be excluded (see updated parameter description).
Tried to implement it in a way that looses as little speed as possible - after all, it means an additional plane copying operation. In case of YUY2 input, also an additional colorspace conversion is needed. That won't affect the output in any way, but makes the operation a little more costly for YUY2 than for YV12 input.
In one respect, the actual implementation is not as smart as it could be: In case that edgemode=1|2 is used, the script will do two separate plane copy operations where the job could be done with only one. It would be not so awful tricky to do it like that ... but I'm currently a little tired of all those "?" and ":"

oo_void:
This function doesn't try to be a replacement for iiP. But I'll implement LimitedSharpen into iiP soon, to make the big boy walk a little faster. In fact, I'm using iiP with this implementation for quite some time now. Only thing is, I'm not sure yet how much LS should be crippled for that purpose, and how much features should be exposed to iiP's function call.

koszopal:
Usage of edgemode=2 is not recommended. At least I don't see much sense in sharpening everything except detail. It's only there for completeness (perhaps someone wants to use that together with UnSmooth(), you never know)

MrTibs:
Mug Funky had a similar thought of using this principle for halo reduction. Though I follow the general idea, I still can't see how it actually should work out. Perhaps if you two stick together heads, and fiddle it out ...

PiXuS:
Just as malkion said. The script works internally in YV12 colorspace, so MOD4 resolutions are required even for YUY2 input. It were possible to work around that with internal padding - but I'm simply too lazy to do that I think MOD4 for input is fair enough.

I have close to no idea how good or bad LimitedSharpen() works on comic or animee sources, as that's not my world at all. If someone has particular issues with such input, please report them.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote