madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
I could list the modes which are in the edit fields for display mode switching
Yes, this would be great.
Well, to be honest, I don't think this is a good time to add this feature. The whole refresh rate changing will be rewritten sooner or later and work quite differently to how to works now. It makes more sense to wait until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Btw, can we get dithering for every frame presented? With Dx11 path and "present every vsync" option that should beat any FRC.
For high quality junkies I would strongly recommend to match refresh rate to movie frame rate. If you do that, you already get a changing dithering for each frame right now. Of course it would be possible to change the dither pattern for repeated frames, too, if the refresh rate is higher than the movie framerate. But it would increase GPU power consumption, and to be honest, I have a *lot* of things to do which hopefully bring a bigger image quality improvement than that would bring. Just my 2cents, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I guess it's a known issue with Madvr 88.4 and 88.5 because I have an issue watching any movie with some random presention error and Renderer queue and all others are not full.
I'm not sure what you mean. There are known issues with 88.4 and 88.5, but not those you're describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
What is the differences between Font Renderer : Vector Text Renderer and Bitmap Text Renderer ?
I have no idea. madVR doesn't have any such options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
1. Going FSE is fine, but after first seek presentation glitches start piling up by the dozen every second during playback, enabling 'Present a frame for every v-sync' fixes it, but windowed FS mode works fine without. All queues apart from render queue (see below) are full at the time.
You will have to use "present a frame for every v-sync" then. Driver bug or D3D11 bug, not my fault.

Quote:
2. After going windowed FS or FSE, render queue is always only 3-5/8, other queues are full, and I get increased CPU usage, e.g. from ~7% to ~30% on my 3,6GHz Intel Core2Duo.
This is exactly the effect you would get with "Nvidia control panel 'Max. pre-rendered frames'" set to a fixed low value. So my best guess is that either the GPU uses a different setting for this behind your back, or there are profiles active somehow which set a low value for this, or there's some GPU driver bug, or something.

Quote:
3. Sometimes after seeking/stopping playback video gets stuck in a loop, jumping between few frames.
Doesn't occur on my PC. Please try again with the next build.

Quote:
4. Render times are better compared to D3D9, but present times are way worse, e.g. going from 0.12ms to 0.9x/1.xx ms in windowed mode, in windowed FS or FSE they are even higher (although only chroma is scaled).
Again this points to "Max. pre-rendered frames" not being set correctly. Or the GPU ignoring that settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindac View Post
I noticed that ordered dithering is a very noisy process. I found it fun lately to turn on 1bit output and see very obviously some algorithmic patterns. It appears not dithering at all gives the most "stable" unnoisy picture while error diffusion is more stable and 'random' is a total mess.

I'm surprised, but it appears no dithering at all is a viable choice.
"No dithering" is not a viable choice *at all*. Testing with 1bit is not a good test for this. Try 2bit. See here:

http://madshi.net/2bitNoDithering.png
http://madshi.net/2bitOrderedDithering.png

(CAUTION: Please zoom the images in the browser to 100%, otherwise the dither pattern will look ugly.)

I think no sane human could possibly prefer the image with no dithering there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You will *always* need dithering, because its about the mathematical process, not about the quality of the source. In fact, its entirely independent of that (although its going to be more obvious in some sources than in others, of course)
If such a perfect source would exist, then dithering also wouldn't add noise, since dithering, by definition and design, is only used to spread the rounding error to multiple pixels, instead of accumulating it all in one. If there wouldn't be a rounding error, there would be no "noise".

At the end of the day, movies are all going to be in YUV, and YUV needs to be converted to RGB. This conversion process (if done right) results in floating point values, which need to be converted to 8-bit (or recently, 10-bit) on output. If you don't use dithering, you will effectively cut off data. Thats also were your analogy goes wrong, dithering isn't about hiding flaws, its about preserving data when converting to a lower bitdepth (ie. from 16/32-bit float, to 8/10-bit integer for output)

Of course you are free to use whatever settings you like, but please don't spread them as advice.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I'm a bit confused when you ask "what mode my PC is", where should I look that? Control panel just said (roughly) 1080 native, 60Hz.

Anyways I had a look and I don't find any video that turns my TV to 1080p60 mode, it stays always in PC mode which is fine and bad at the same time... I would expect a bit more consistency for these things (I should be able to treat 60fps sources as every other non-PC source, TV settings wise). 1080p59 is also defaulting to PC mode.

Then I played a 50fps video and screen turned to 50p mode, so here the story does apply.
Anyways I removed the 1080p50 entry and it defaulted to 1080p60 now seemingly and oddly enough "PC mode" (I still think passthrough should be a better idea?).
Sounds all good to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
My playback is fine (no dropped frames, no glitches).

Anyway, just for info .. when I watch movie 24.000 and refresh rate fix is active, render queue and present queue are low (render queue 3-5/8 and present queue 2-3/8. Average stats present 31.00 ms which is abnormally high, usually 0.05 ms.)
Sounds like you have "Nvidia control panel 'Max. pre-rendered frames'" set to a fixed low value. Set it to "application control".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Your fix never worked for me even before but this time it works! Thanks, great work.
Cool! I did improve it a bit, hoped it might work better in some exotic cases now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
ALSO, 3DLUT organization is plain buggy. I have content specifically labeled SMPTE C In Ctrl+J menu is says SMPTE C), but if I place Rec.709 3DLUT into madVR Rec.709 line and place Rec.601 3DLUT into Rec.601 line, then madVR will actually use Rec.709 line and Rec.709 3DLUT to render content specifically labeled SMPTE C.
How do you know it uses the BT.709 3dlut? If that is really the case, it's a bug and then please enter it to the madVR bug tracker.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote