View Single Post
Old 9th June 2011, 09:46   #20  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
I apologize P.J for forcing this a bit off-topic (although if you really wanted to get into it; much of this may apply to you...mainly that you might also see a performance boost using software decoding...)

And thanks to the rest of you for bearing with me and actually responding with real insight to my overly long post. It involved some topics that I are quite pressing to me. (For instance, I also just discovered LAV de-interlacing...I love it! )

While this stuff fascinates me, I do not have the time for another long post, but I am learning a lot - when I have time I may start another thread. But to sum it up, I think it comes down to the fact that P.J. and I are just really pushing it running the 8600 GT...not only because of the video-memory, which is too high for my comfort in GPU-Z, but also because I agree with P.J. that that doesn't seem to be the main issue.

P.J. - So is your issue fixed now? I overlooked the fact that you are on XP - that changes several things. (E.g. Aero does much more than making windows look pretty and transparent...)

Thanks again for all of the info!
MikeY

PS - I was shocked to see that SLI did help me out when using Cuda (or whatever it is called ) ...Shockingly, GPU-Z showed ALL of the "Video Engine Load" on the secondary GPU. With it turned off, it was obviously on the main GPU. Consequently, when running higher-powered upscaling like 4-tap Spline, I received far fewer frame-drops. This is of course only when using HW decoding, since that is what maps to that process-view.
Yeah his problem is a real edge case and he said he tried on both XP as well as 7 and indeed Vista/7 with DWM and Aero can be beneficial but on the other side might be not in such edge cases im not so sure about that yet (my own experience with NT 6 is limited) on 1 side it's beneficial to have such a GUI running GPU (performance, main memory reduction, application system stall prevention ect) on the other side it also brings problems that you need to cleverly compensate (latency, rendering modes, multitasking ect) and we are just in WDDM 1.1 currently on Win7 with a lot room for improvement which hopefully the next step we gonna see with Windows 8
Anyways his problem is crazy because of the fact that it actually works 1 time (and logic says if the GFX memory would be indeed to low for 1080i then it wouldn't work @ all not even 1 time, or at least 1 time and then after a reboot again 1 time) but then stops forever and can only be recovered (and again only temporarily) after a reinstall of the driver (Win7) that is something very unusual i never heard of in troubleshooting Nvidia based Systems before (actually i know that Nvidias Driver has a adaptive decision system build in for Deinterlacing that makes quality decisions depending on the different hardware capabilities and might fail here being a edge case somehow), but the possibilities for this on his system can go deep down to the Hardware level especially Bios problems where most of us have no access anyways (don't forget this is a laptop/notebook system) and only the manufacture could in the end handle this, though as i already explained he most probably wont do that in his case as he doesn't need to as this was no advertised feature of the System (1080i Playback) when he bought it and the support or guarantee might be run out already also, so hes left alone.

As i said also their would still possibilities @ least for getting a better overview if this is OS dependent also (on his machine) by installing a Linux and try it via Vdpau instead of DXVA or Nvcuvid (though also in the Linux driver this decision system is active but can @ least be overridden manually)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 9th June 2011 at 10:28.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote