View Single Post
Old 9th September 2014, 16:25   #22  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
You are wrong. Pulldown can be used for PAL DVD output of 25i equally well. All players must support it. Soft-Pulldown isn't limited at all to NTSC output, it's just very rarely used ... So you can soft-pulldown 16.666 progressive fps to 25 interlaced fps.
I just went looking through the DVD specs, and I don't see anything like what you describe.

The information I found is consistent: the MPEG-2 soft pulldown flag for DVD authoring only has two values: 3:2 which adds fields to 24p material so it plays correctly on a 60i NTSC TV set; and 2:2 which adds fields to achieve a 4% speedup to go from 24p to 50i PAL.

I do not see anything, either in the spec, nor in any of my various MPEG-2 encoders, that permits any sort of arbitrary soft pulldown flag which would instruct the playback DVD device to add fields during playback to go from 16p or 18p to either 50i or 60i.

If you can point to something that supports this, I would love to know because this is what I do for a living, and it would be great if I could deliver DVDs that contain 16p or 18p material in native format, and then have the DVD player add the pulldown fields. I'd get massively better encodes, and I could fit a lot more material on a DVD.

Unfortunately, I've never seen this in any software I've ever used.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote