View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:32   #96  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
however im sorry bud i dont think we will implement a DXVA compliance check since DXVA is windows centric and subject to changes...
Now i understand your resistance, you think DXVA has something to do with windows.
You're right in thinking so, the name is confusing.

Let me put it this way:

DXVA is the exact same thing as a Bluray player or an X360. Its just a different way of doing the same thing

They all have the same Goal: Play back level 3.1 and level 4.1 compliant files. The rules for playback are defined by the Joint Video Team (JVT).

Since the bugs in x264 have been fixed it has been perfectly capable of encoding files that work on any device that supports hardware decoding of an H264 AVC file. The only difference is the chosen container.

Although its true that DXVA has slightly loose restrictions on things like bitrate the limits we have talked about in the past never exceeded the least capable device.

Its very simple. Any and ALL devices that claim that they can play back HD level 4.1 will only do so if the file does not exceed the following limits:
-MAX bitrate of 40Mbit/s(standard says 50, but i'm not 100% sure that it works on all devices at that bitrate)
-MAX ref frame limit of: 8355840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames

Its very simple. Any and ALL devices that claim that they can play back HD level 3.1 will only do so if the file does not exceed the following limits:
-MAX bitrate of 17.5 Mbit/s
-MAX ref frame limit of: 6531840 / (Height X Width) = max number of ref frames

-----------

Now if i understand correctly you have found an extra limit when the resulting file is played back on a blu-ray player. This limitations should then be valid for all hardware players (that it happens to work on a DXVA player simply means that that device is not as strict with that part of the rules)
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote