View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2014, 05:47   #63  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

MPDN deep color output modes Direct3D 10.1 and Direct3D 9Ex

MPDN now supports 10-bit and 16-bit output modes in Direct3D 10 and 11. In Direct3D 9Ex mode, selecting 10-bit and 16-bit output modes will cause MPDN to attempt to use the respective modes but fallback when it's not supported (i.e. if 16-bit mode is unsupported, use 10-bit. If 10-bit isn't supported, fallback to 8-bit).

You will find this feature particularly useful especially if you have 10-bit sources and/or if you use 3DLUTs as you can now faithfully reproduce the picture as intended.

One thing to note though, displays / links that don't support deep color (i.e. pre-HDMI 1.3 and DVI) will produce horrible banding effects unless 8-bit output is selected. Analog output is perfectly happy with the deep color output though.

A final word of warning: 16-bit output mode is quite buggy across different cards (even with the same version of driver). In my testing with 3 different generations of NVIDIA cards on Win8.1 and Win7, I found only one instance where the backcolor was cleared to white instead of black (with 9600GTX on Win8.1). AMD cards displays with incorrect gamma while in 16-bit mode (MPDN has a workaround for this and AMD cards now displays correctly). Intel GPUs are even more of a mixed bag - on P4600 Win7, I get completely wrong colours while displaying through DVI.

I'm very interested to find out what other bugs you guys encounter.

Last edited by Zachs; 12th March 2015 at 04:23.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote