View Single Post
Old 13th September 2017, 09:05   #1230  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Again, sorry for the late reply. I am not notified of the replies to this thread any more. Not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
When I run the program against San Andreas 3D bluray, and select only the truehd stream and not the ac3 stream, the file output is named 00098.track.4253.Eng.thd+ac3. So, it did not decouple the thd from ac3. I really don't want the ac3 track. I note there is an option to only select the ac3 track, but, I do not check that of course. Why not only the thd? Yes, I know that's so other stuff can play it, etc. but I don't want it. So, I end up having to use ffmpeg or mkvextract to get only the thd, manually.
Currently, it is only possible to keep either the AC3 or the THD sub-track with BD3D2MK3D. So, you are wrong. By default, BD3D2MK3D doesn't keep both sub-tracks in the final MKV. IMO, there is no real need to keep both.

If you have selected the option to keep only the "core" in tab 2, then BD3D2MK3D demuxes only the AC3 track, and of course it muxes it in the final MKV. The advantage is the great compatibility, the small file size and the speed of the demux process.

If the "core" option in tab 2 is not ticked, then indeed BD3D2MK3D demuxes the combined THD+AC3 track. But it's not that combined track that is muxed. As von Suppé has explained, it's impossible anyway, because MKV doesn't support that combined tracks. When the audio track is muxed, mkvmerge disregards the AC3 sub-track automatically, so that the audio track really muxed in the final MKV is the THD track alone. There is absolutely no need to split the combined track manually or change anything in the way BD3D2MK3D works.

Technical notes:

When the combined THD+AC3 track is muxed with mkvmerge, BD3D2MK3D uses the --audio-tracks argument to specify what sub-stream mkvmerge must keep. "--audio-tracks 0" keeps only the THD track. "--audio-tracks 1" keeps only the AC3 track.

Example of muxing only the THD track from a THD+AC3 file, generated by BD3D2MK3D:
(The magic is highlighted in red)
Code:
### Audio stream(s)

--track-name
0:Chinese (TrueHD 5.1 48/96KHz)
--language
0:zho
--default-track
0:yes
--sync
0:5005
--compression
0:none
--audio-tracks
00001.track_4352.Zho.thd+ac3
If you want to keep both tracks, you have to untick the "core" option in tab 2 to demux the combined track instead of just the AC3, then, when the project has been created on disc, edit the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file to duplicate the whole section concerning the audio track (as in the example above), and change the --audio-tracks 0 argument to --audio-tracks 1, and edit the track name accordingly. It's the main reason why BD3D2MK3D doesn't demux the THD track only. For a little bit of wasted disc space, it lets the power user decide exactly what to do, including, if he wish, keep the THD and the AC3 sub-streams as two separate streams.

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th September 2017 at 10:31.