View Single Post
Old 17th August 2005, 17:28   #170  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veverica
The detection routine is rather simple. It recognises around 99 percent of subtitles and double around 1%, for a medium quality video. We can talk more about it, if you like, you can get the source code if you like.
Well, it would be nice to compare the detection routines, and maybe see where mine works and yours doesn't, and the other way around. Have you tried anime fansubs? Ther are a bit harder to work with - see the example in guide on the SubRip homepage, how does PodPis deal with that? Do you still get 99% detection accuracy?

Quote:
My first proposal would be to rip off the subs in two steps. First to run the detection, that would create idx/sub file and than to rip that file. It saves much time.
Well, I'd have to run them side by side to decide. Sounds to me like you already have everything in place. We can ask zuggy to include a link to PodPis on the SubRip homepage, or I can do it myself, if he agrees. One question: what do you do when you have a "possible"? Do you still output it in the .idx/.sub files? I'd say actually seeing the subtitles helps a lot. And do you actually save the files with different text and outline colors, or do you just make them black and white?

Quote:
Another proposal would be to include a button that would skip the OCR but would include [skiped item nr.] line in a text file, like it does when you hit Done in manual typing.
That would be easy enough to do, but what advantage is there? The "Skip this subtitle" button skips without adding that message. Do you actually go in with some other program (like SubtitleWorkshop) and fill in your skipped items? On the other hand, it would make sense to have a "Same as last" button in the manual typing window. However, that only shows up if SubRip can't detect the lines in a multi-line subtitle, which doesn't happen if you use the "inter-line options".

Quote:
Another proposal would be to Delete last typed char from char matrix without showing the matrix. With ALT-U it happens often (in a hurry).
Hmm, it would also have to restart the detection of the last subtitle, since that character needs to be in fact replaced, not deleted. That would also mean going back N subtitles if all other characters have been properly detected . It is possible, but not easy to implement, and going back in videos is not easy, or guaranteed to work all the time. So... my advice... don't be hasty when pressing the "Use" button. Maybe I should put a delay timer on it ?

Back to your proposal: I now have zero time available to work on this, and won't have time for a few more months. I can at most give advice . Hopefully, zuggy will get back to the DVD part and make some improvements, and fix some of the reported bugs along the way.

On another note, I was trying to get the subtitle removal filter to work (see some earlier posts). It would be a great help if you could finish it (it's only debugging, everything else is in place) using your knowledge of VirtualDub, and maybe combining it with PodPis.

Last edited by ai4spam; 18th August 2005 at 09:46.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote