View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:59   #1278  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Hi, Mosu. I want to ask something about how Display width/height in matroska meant to be handled...
Something like splitter tells exact resolution to the player and player do some scaling to accomplish this? So if original resolution is 640x360 and Display width/height is 1280x720, I should not be able to tell if the video is scaled from 360p on the fly or before encoding unless I look to some statistics?
The idea is indeed that the initial size of the video during playback is set to display width/height by the player (not the demuxer or codec though -- it is supposed to be up to the player so that the user still has the choice which scaling methods to use etc). It is not supposed to be a fixed size so the user should still be able to resize the playback window afterwards.

However, most players if not all only use the quotient "display_widht/display_height" as the aspect ratio for playback and determine the initial size themselves. Some muxing applications or users of those even go so far and use e.g. "16" for the display_width and "9" for the display_height parameter -- but this is mostly a result of the players not honoring the actual display width/height but only using its quotient for aspect ratio calculation.

Quote:
If this is so, does haali splitter respects that?
I don't know, and like I said, it is supposed to be the player's job, not the splitter's/demuxer's/codec's. However, I'm not familiar with Windows' multimedia stack and cannot judge whether or not it would be easier to implement proper display width/height handling in the splitter itself.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.