View Single Post
Old 13th October 2008, 21:14   #635  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi Mosu, hi everybody,

yesterday I began to create some mka files ( only audio ), which should contain one ore more DTS tracks. This worked fine in most cases, but some dts files where rejected by mkvmerge with the following error messages:

Code:
mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 13 2008 21:05:53
'G:\DTS\test.dts': Using the DTS demultiplexer.
'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Using the DTS output module.
The file 'H:\test.mka' has been opened for writing.
Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
Progress: 0%Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
Warning: 'G:\DTS\test.dts' track 0: Skipping 3583 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This might cause audio/video desynchronisation.
and lots more of that.

eac3to also complains that is it not able to identify the source file format. I am able to playback those DTS files with MPC_HC together with AC3Filter, both through spdif or analog, but the internal DTS dekoder of MPC_HC is playing them back with wrong speed and pitch ( same as a mka muxxed with Haali, see below ). Mediainfo reports about those files:

Audio
Format : DTS-HD
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Bitraten-Modus : Variable
Kanäle : 6 Kanäle
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Samplingrate : 44,1 KHz
Auflösung : 20 bits

As a comparision, those DTS files which don't make problems look like that:

Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Bitraten-Modus : Constant
Bitrate : 1 411,2 Kbps
Kanäle : 6 Kanäle
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Samplingrate : 44,1 KHz
Auflösung : 24 bits

I also tried to mux such a file to mka using Haalis gsdmux, this works, but when the resulting mka file has a total wrong playtime, and the playback is strange, e.g. the pitch of the audio is absolute incorrect. Then I tried to "repair" those files with DTSParser, but this doesn't help at all.

So my question is what is wrong about those files ? Is it the 20bit depth, or is it the bitrate flagged as variable ?

If it is helpful I am able to provide a sample of such a DTS file.

C.U. NanoBot