View Single Post
Old 8th March 2013, 15:43   #1013  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have a frame rate problem with some versions of x264. The versions included with your launcher work perfectly, but some versions downloaded from x264.nl are not so good. The problem, when the .nl version is used, is that MkvMerge cannot find the frame rate in the h264 stream, and it assumes 25p. When you mux such a x264 file manually with MkvMerge GUI (mmg.exe), it issues a warning that explains that the frame rate must be specified, but I want to automate the encoding and muxing and mkvmerge.exe (CLI) doesn't issue that warning. When the same video is encoded with Simple x264 launcher (or with the exes in your toolbox), there is no warning, and the correct frame rate is used.

Is it a fix included only in some builds, or starting with a specific version number? Where do you download the versions included in your toolbox? Is it possible to test if the user of a GUI uses a version that sets correctly the frame rate in the video stream?

Sorry to ask this question here, as your tool works perfectly, but I think you know certainly what's the origin of that problem, and how to avoid it.
As long as you output the stream as MKV file, there should be FPS information included. Storing as a "raw" H.264 stream may not have FPS information included, so then MkvMergeGUI will default to 25 fps. I don't think there should be any differences between x264 builds, as the MKV muxer is a part of x264 code, not from an external library (like GPAC is needed for MP4 muxing). I just include Komisar's builds.