View Single Post
Old 24th February 2011, 16:48   #14  |  Link
andrixnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The codecs that were removed were outdated, broken or incomplete. Much better alternatives exist all around. No-one was willing to update or fix the existing ones, so they were removed.
ffmpeg -codecs
List is neither tiny, nor the encoders outdated. And yes, some of them are based on external libraries that are the base for their respective own standalone implementation as well. (like xvid, x264, etc).
Seeing this situation I am only sorry that I lack most of the skills required to bring those encoders up to date in ffdshow myself.

Quote:
I don't get the problem here. You want a h264 encoder? Well install the x264 VfW codec, and don't use the half-broken and outdated ffdshow version. Same goes for the other codecs, of course. The only reason i can come up with that this is so bad for you is lazyness - and thats no reason in itself.
Actually, I DO have xvid and x264 installed as separate encoders.
Sometimes I use them, though most often ffdshow gets picked. Even though it may not be the fastest, the newest or the very best of output quality at the pixel level.

Consider the end user perspective. A unified codec package for both decoding and encoding, as it has been until recently.
Also, a unified interface for encoder parameters, which many actually share. Ffdshow is thus easier to use (as encoder).
Different encoder packages have their own ideas about what settings to make available to the user and also how to name them. Which in turn gets to be confusing.

Anyway, this is just another user's experience.

But please do not call me "lazy" while quoting "unwillingness to update or fix encoders".

Quote:
In the end, its the decision of the developers anyway. You don't pay them, most of you don't even thank them, but if they do something you don't like, you get noisy and annoying. A great world that is open source.
Well, yes, it is true that open-source is not about direct payments from end users to developers.
There are many ways to contribute or show appreciation to an open-source project. Including bug reports, feature requests, patches, translations, and finally, actually using it.
I have contributed to many open-source projects with bugreports, testing, a couple of patches doable at my skill level.

There have been some projects shutting out some of their user base with some decisions. Some of them have even forked because of such.
There are other projects that linger features or components for years for similar reasons : developer unavailability or low priority. Some get better, others remained roughly the same.

This is the first major project that I see dropping features/modules/componets in bulk on such grounds.
"Err, it's kinda old, err, i've seen that other program do the same, let's just delete the whole thing..."

It makes me sad.

My few bits...
andrixnet is offline   Reply With Quote