View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:29   #27947  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal Encoder View Post
Yes, but therein lies the rub. If I get 40 inch 4K panel and have to sit so far away from it that the blurriness isn't an issue, then will it be bigger in my field of view (and better) than a smaller panel would be if I were to sit up close to it?
Since visual acuity is expressed in angle units, it follows that the optimal field of view depends only on resolution, not screen size. This means the optimal field of view for 1080p is 32°, and for UHD (~4K) it's - no surprise there - 64°. You can watch 1080p on a >32° field of view if you upscale it on a 4K monitor; you won't get any more detail, but at least it won't look pixelated. If you do the same on a 1080p native monitor with a box PSF, then you won't get any more detail and it will look pixelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal Encoder View Post
If not then where is the benefit in higher resolutions and larger screens?
The benefit of higher resolutions (screen size being equal) is, you get a more detailed and less pixelated image, assuming you sit close enough to the screen for it to make a difference (~1 MOA/pixel).

The benefit of larger screens (resolution being equal) is, you get to sit farther away from the screen and still enjoy the same level of detail.

Last edited by e-t172; 2nd January 2015 at 09:31.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote