View Single Post
Old 10th October 2005, 06:02   #245  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
it sounded like you were just adding some kind of padding to increase the bitrate, but what is the point of that?
no, not adding padding. the things i have been changing are to do with bit distribution and rate control calculations.

Quote:
No offense, but I can't think of any situations where undersizing would be undesirable.
when the rate control has failed to distribute as much bitrate as possible. for the above example where the average quant is around 1 then you are practically at saturation point and wont get much more in either size or quality. however say the average quant had been more like 4 or 5 and you were still under your target bitrate. that suggests that there should be areas where a lower quant me be able to be used, thus raising bitrate towards target and ,atleast in theory, increasing quality. of course the distribution still has to adhere to any restrictions such as max bitrate and VBV etc.