View Single Post
Old 4th June 2018, 23:08   #45  |  Link
NoTechi

Warner many thanks again!

The Kodi Netflix addon sounds promising and I am def going to try it once I decide to switch to Kodi 18.

--------------
Hz/Custom mode
Ok my Hz question was not well phrased. Let me try again
In madvr under custom settings I got next to others this two resolutions:
1. 3840x2160 23hz my status is "custom timings, optimization data available"
2. 3840x2160 24hz my status is "custom timings, not measured yet"

For 1. I can optimize using the EDIT mode and according to madvr I should be at 1 frame drop every hour (modes with better results bring the gpu error but 1 hour would be fine)
For 2. I can't get a test "saved" without gpu error message. So I can't optimize this one. I tried some stuff since I don't get why I can't save it even though the test switching into this mode works fine.

When I now play a 4k HDR movie it shows following in the madvr overlay
display 23,97814 Hz
composition rate 23,980 Hz
According to madvr overlay info I have a frame repeat every 4 minutes in average. But when I go back to madvr custom settings and look at the 3840x2160 23 hz optimize data it still says measured 1 frame drop every one hour. So thats what is confusing to me.

My first question is if the movie is using 3840x2160 23hz or 24hz mode. I would guess it is the 23Hz mode even though the rate is with 23,9xxx closer to 24Hz but I can't check since I am in the madvr full screen exclusive mode and can't get madvr settings on top.
Is madvr always adjusting/improving the optimization data in custom modes or do I have to reset it somehow and watch a movie again for 30+ minutes.

My use cases are 3D mvc, native 4k hdr, everything else upscaled to 3840x2160. So my guess is the follwing modes are the only one I need to care about:
1920x1080 23hz --> 3D mvc? (I can optimize those)
3840x2160 23hz --> 4k native and all other upsacled movies beside some uncommen one with 50Hz
3840x2160 50hz --> upscaled live tv. This is working fine and I can otpimize

I would just have to fully deinstall and fresh install the driver if I would need the 3840x2160 24hz mode which I am not sure if I need it at all and if it would work after a fresh install.

----------------------------------
HDR

Yes I get good results with custom curves on my jvc as well but it always leaves the taste that it is just a compromise since it is never really using a curve based on current played scenes/movies. Even though the 1000/1100 and 4000 nits curves are covering the average.

I guess the whole HDR topic I stay with passthrough and custom curves for now and wait for madshi releasing a new version improving the whole HDR topic especially in regards to becoming more "dynamic". If I get bored I might try to create a 3DLUT for HDR again follwing your link since I still would like to know what the results would be using a HDR 3DLUT without downconverting to SDR.
---------------

Again many thanks

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote