View Single Post
Old 9th July 2010, 08:43   #153  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^*^ View Post
Then let's change these specifications! Your application has become de facto the standard for creation of Matroska files.
Not possible. Even if mkvtoolnix is the de facto standard in a limited number of situations it is by far not the only program using the existing specs. Changing the specs in backwards incompatible ways now that there are tons of muxers and demuxers already out there is out of the question.

Quote:
Please, think "green", unless some corporations have paid You to make these changes and they could sell more "new and compatible" devices.
Since I've started working on mkvtoolnix in 2002 I've received all of 200 EUR in donations. No corporation has ever contacted me and asked me to change mkvtoolnix in any way.

Also it's a lie if a corp tells you that they cannot fix bugs in older hardware. This is not about implementing a whole new video codec for which the hardware might not be capable enough. These are minor software updates which would only require a new firmware, certainly not a new hardware device. I know corps like to sell new devices instead of support old ones. But changing their corporate mind is the responsibility of each and every consumer by making the choice which devices to buy and which not to buy.

So please don't start a discussion about corporate ethics, the impact of my decisions on the environment. This is a mkvtoolnix support thread, not a political discussion board.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 10th July 2010 at 09:48.