View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 04:00   #1044  |  Link
Egh

Epically superior build!!!!

Believe it or nuts, but you [almost] solved the secondary monitor problem! Now it doesn't max one of the cores, keeps it at half (i.e. tends to be around 50%) on one of the cores! That said, however, there's still substantial increase when moving MPCHC window to a different monitor. Increase happens on one core only so there's still something lurking in the code. But generally for 720p here I can even move the window and still have good CPU rates.

That is still pales in comparison to the CPU usage. What did you do?!!! It now runs on primary monitor with just half of the previous CPU load!!!
Using lanczos4&softcubic50 I can achieve just less than 20% cpu typical usage. That is on 720p avc content slightly downscaled (so shader math still works).
It is indeed too early to compare HR and mVR directly, as mVR doesnt' do subs yet, but I expect it to be on par regarding CPU usage. So unsubbed 720p content seems to take about same CPU amount. And that with HR using bicubic and mVR using lanc4 & softcubic.

Now of course the bugs ))

a. Chroma upscaling setting is not remembered.
b. Ugly when moving window around, video is flickering ( blank black area clearly seen and then video).
c. Even more annoying -- in fullscreen mode it flickers (again showing blank black frame and then back to video) when moving cursor to the control bar below.
It flickers twice -- first when opening the bar and when closing it.
d. Each change of upscale method leads to quite serious amount of dropped frames. Chroma and the other luma upscaling methods typically cause 3-5 frames loss, whilst active method change may, seemingly randomly, cause a loss between 10 and (record value) 40 frames. These values are from same video (i.e. even on same video the number of dropped frames is unpredictable). And yes, you got it right -- even if luma downscaling is used, when I change chroma upscale method it still drops several frames.

Other than that, still wonderful achievement! Personally, only feature that prevents me to switch over to mVR from HR is the subs
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote