View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:21   #3  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

You can't really test a deshaker with test patterns and graphs; unless you take a video of a sheet of paper having those patterns.

I have a 1080p video testimonial recorded from a compact camera. The video is quite noisy and slightly shaky (hand-held); with a part where I'm moving the camera around so it's then very shaky. For the part that is fixed, I find it works best with Deshaker when I only detect rotation and disable "detect zoom" and "detect scene change", but then when I start moving around it causes the image to skip quite a lot so "detect zoom" must be enabled.

I just gave Mercalli another try. This time I disabled Smooth Camera Path and reduced "avoid borders" from 40 to 22, and reduced "pan shot smoothing" from 40 to 29. Most importantly, I used the preset "Vibrations/Wobble". Compared to Deshaker, the first pass took quite a bit longer, while the second pass was still fast.

Result? The over-zoom was gone. I reduced the settings too much and it is still a bit shaky, but even there, Deshaker's video that is zoomed in more has a clearer picture.
- Mercalli loses details
- Most of the wobbles are now gone; but there are a few left that are even bigger (or they just stand out more?)
- *there is a slight yellow decoloration*

The workflow that is working best so far is
1. Convert video from PC colors to TV colors and run Deshaker's first pass from the source
2. Run SMDegrain(prefilter=4) on the source, then convert from PC to TV colors, then run Deshaker's second pass.

OR

1. Run SMDegrain(prefilter=4), convert from PC colors to TV colors, and save to AVI
2. Import into Mercalli, re-encode as H264 with highest quality.

I tried importing an AVS file into Mercalli. That didn't work.

Based on my source video, my goal is to have a video that fixes the slight shaking of the first part without degrading the quality, and that handles the camera movements of the second part nicely without too much wobbles. I think that's a good test video.

Last edited by MysteryX; 2nd July 2016 at 16:30.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote