View Single Post
Old 14th June 2010, 15:22   #322  |  Link
mp3dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koutsoubos View Post
Can we debunk this FOR CERTAIN?
To say 'for certain' you must have the dvd-video specification from the DVDForum. What I can say is that I've made a lot of these dvd and no one complain about strange incompatibility with standalone players. Also, EclipseSuite (which is very reliable) validate the verification.

Quote:
"In the case of 24 fps source, the encoder embeds MPEG-2 repeat_first_field flags into the video stream to make the decoder either perform 2-3 pulldown for 60Hz NTSC displays (actually 59.94Hz) or 2-2 pulldown (with resulting 4% speedup) for 50Hz PAL/SECAM displays"
Can we lay this to rest, at least for PAL?
If your source is 24p and you want to convert to PAL there are only 3 ways:
- Encode as 25p with 4% speedup
- Encode as 50i with 4% speedup (this is the 2:2 pulldown)
- Encode as 24p with 2^12:3 euro-pulldown

As for the third option, there's no progressive-scan players able to reconstruct the original 24p and display at 25p since the cadence is quite uncommon. You'll see it always as interlaced with 2 stutters every second. This is different with software dvd decoders that will output true 24p. I don't know if this happends even for dvd players with HDMI output. If the player can output 24p via HDMI it could be that the hdtv will display the original 24p... but I've never tried it.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote