View Single Post
Old 13th April 2014, 14:41   #20013  |  Link
Peter_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
It's no secret. It would be more informative if I could tell you a disc that DIDN'T do this for me.

Regardless of what disc I test, BD-RB does not deduct the stripped/core extracted audio from the calculations for disc size. It always assumes the movie's original size divided by target is the compression needed.

I can't find anything where the calculation does work properly.

Maybe it's something weird about my setup, maybe most people just aren't noticing because the calculation still includes a reduction for the stripped audio so the difference is small for most discs. Maybe no one is bothering to do the math since the numbers are reported in bytes.

The point being, assuming it's just me, I'm afraid it's probably irreproducible. No mystery.
It's not just you. I am also still finding this behavior in all of the newer versions. As we had previously discussed, it works properly in v0.45.05, on all the discs that I've tried. In every 0.46 or newer version that I've tried, BD-RB always re-encodes the video, even if the original is only slightly larger than the target size (and the HD Audio will be converted to AC3). It seems to not be accounting for the space that will be saved by converting the audio (my best way to explain it). Like you, DoctorM, I have not found 1 disc that does not exhibit this behavior. jdobbs has stated that the algorithm for calculations has not changed, but something has changed the behavior (don't know what that is).

Discs tried:
- The Artist
- The 39 Steps
- Eyes Wide Shut
- A Clockwork Orange
Peter_A is offline   Reply With Quote