View Single Post
Old 21st September 2007, 09:12   #15  |  Link
cjk32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxxxb View Post
Hi, probably stupid question, but is it possible to make a HDCD software encoder?

Tnx....
It's certainly feasible to create an encoder that supports the same features that the decoder currently does. The only non trivial point would be to produce a good dithering system, ideally as close to the one used in the original encoders, although I expect a little bit of reading would make this fairly simple.

Less simple is to be able to use dynamic filter switching. This requires knowledge of the filter's characteristics (hopefully gleanable from test tracks played through an upsampling decoder), as well as an algorithm to choose which filter to use.

On the other hand, whether there is any actual use for an encoder is another question. I'd really like to perform / see the results of an ABX between the following:

A) 24 bit original encoder that's been hdcd encoded and decoded
B) 24 bit original truncated / dithered to 16 bit (and then padded back to 24 bit if it makes the technical details any easier)

The other benefit I should probably mention is that tracks encoder using peak extension and gain adjustment will play back rather compressed on non hdcd players. In some cases, this may well be what you want, e.g. car audio, portable music players.

I suspect I'll probably end up writing an encoder just to play with. It might well make ABXing things a lot easier!

Regards,

Chris
cjk32 is offline   Reply With Quote