Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 25th October 2013, 19:40   #183  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
I have to own up to being a dummy here and having done that, thinking the rule only applied to storing it as a global variable. I had made the--admittedly careless--assumption that storing the environment pointer as a non-static class variable would be safe since each instance of the host would have its own instance of my filter class. I take it I'm supposed to understand that multiple instances of a host application might try to access a single instance of my filter?

Only the slightest bit more consideration put into my problem and I've eliminated what I thought was the need to store the pointer, so it's no big deal for me to bring my code into compliance (luckily I work so slowly I haven't released a version with this problem included), but for the sake of curiosity I thought I'd ask.
Always pass the environment pointer as an argument to your functions. It's a simple rule. Because Avisynth isn't multithreaded you'll never have two threads accessing your filter at once. However it's still a very bad practice. (not sure exactly what the MT side does to get around it)

Note that this issue affects everyone trying to use Avisynth plugins. For example RemoveGrain commits the biggest sin of all. It stores the environment pointer as a global variable when AvisynthPluginInit2 is called. This makes VapourSynth, which creates fake Avisynth environments only when needed, crash. A lot. Since the environment pointer will be different between plugin instances and registering functions.

I'd like to add another filter writing tip myself.

ONLY call AddFunction in AvisynthPluginInit2. Do not throw errors. DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE THERE. Do initialization when one of your functions is called the first time.

It's the biggest reason for autoloading "breaking" in avisynth and a pile of other issues.