View Single Post
Old 27th March 2011, 18:05   #518  |  Link
Didée

The situation with RemoveGrain package is tricky.

Basically, I agree that the "official" v1.0 version should be preferred over the older pre-v1.0 versions. But then, how it comes that e.g. a certain Mr. Didée is regularly recommending the old pre-v1 version?

- v1.0 final is only backwards-compatible with pre-v1 in regards to the spatial filters.

- v1.0 final is backwards-incompatible in regards to the temporal filters. Namely, clense().

In effect, when v1.0 is getting used, then 99% of all scripts/functions that are using clense will not work anymore.

Of course the older scripts can be adapted accordingly. But it'll be a long way to go, with dozens or hundreds of mini-scriptlets out there that people might pick up from here, there, or elsewhere.

And, the final showstopper:

RemoveGrain v1.0 final is not documented. There are substantial changes that cause backwards incompatibility, and there is no documentation how to use v1.0 correctly.

That's a problem.

Staying with the old version might be somewhat unsatisfactory, but the situation is so that it avoids lots of problems.
The other way round, there's actually not much to "gain" from switching to the v1.0.final version. People crying for the SSE3 filters simply are clueless. The potential speed gain is practically irrelevant.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)