SetMTMode(2,2)
AVCSource("00000.dga")
MCBob()
LanczosResize(720,480)
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()
It worked fine and the result looks crisp. But it's WAAAY to slow!
The first clip, 358 frames, took 2443 seconds to encode (0.15 fps). At this rate, a 1 hour video will take 200 hours to encode, or more than 8 days. I also tried MCBob-NNEDI but after some superficial testing that one appears to be even slower.
My system is a Core 2 Duo 5200 (one CPU, two cores).

Obviously, MCBob() is too slow for HD, unless it's used on very short clips.

I am willing to sacrifice time for quality, but the logistical issues with running a task for more than 8 days are pretty daunting since I can't dedicate a system to video processing (it's a machine I share with other people in the household). So it looks like I need to find a faster solution.

I noticed there are quite a few Bob functions, but I have zero experience with them. What I am looking for is something that is better that the most trivial Bobs, but not quite as slow as MCBob(). I am willing to wait up to 1 day for a 60 min video to encode, but that's I guess where I have to draw the line. So I have to speed up the process 8x. (*)
Motion compensated processing is a great idea, I understand the advantages, but it looks like MC on HD material with the current hardware is like encoding MPEG2 in 1997 - it just takes forever.

Can somebody point out some Bob functions that might fit the bill? (better quality than the most trivial ones, but faster than MCBob). As always, the goal is bobbing real 1080i footage (not computer generated, but filmed with a real camera) to shrink it to 480i.

Perhaps there are faster resize filters too, but my uneducated guess is that much more time is spent in MCBob() than in LanczosResize().
Also, I could speed up the MPEG2 encoder, which is currently running at max quality, but with these same settings, it produces 80 fps when encoding pure 480i footage, so I don't think it will make a measurable difference to tweak it in this context.
And a trivial Bob runs at 8 fps or so - I guess that's proof positive that MCBob() is the CPU hog.

(*) - I guess I could always buy faster CPUs, but even so I'm not sure whether MT.dll scales well enough with the number of cores, especially given the kind of filters I'm using. And a system that's 8x faster than my current one is going to be very expensive. I can't afford that.
OK, so I just realized that late next year, waiting for Moore's law, I might actually start using MCBob() on HD. But by that time I'm hoping to shoot all footage in 60 fps progressive for a not much bigger investment - bye bye interlaced video, you miserable evil thing.

P.S.: By the way, I am planning to keep doing experiments until I'm satisfied I have a procedure that converts 1080i to 480i at the best quality in a reasonable time with current hardware. When that happens, I will summarize my findings in a short HOWTO, either on this forum or on the AviSynth Wiki (if I can get permission to create content there). This looks like a topic that will become more important in the future, as the HD cameras become more popular while co-existing with legacy SD displays - so people will need ways to bridge the two kinds of formats while preserving a good image quality.
I will take a couple more weeks I guess. This is fun.
florinandrei is offline   Reply With Quote