View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:45   #13  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The commands serve different purposes. If you read the manual from top to bottom, the "mandatory" commands are explained first, then the "optional" commands, then the "calibration" commands. That's really all you should care about.

The remaining commands under the section "standards definition" are mainly meant to be used by people who want to convert a video from one standard/format to another. E.g. if you want to reencode video by upscaling SD to HD, you should also modify the primaries. The "Input_Primaries" should then be PAL or NTSC and the "Output_Primaries" should be HD. When reencoding video, you do NOT want to measure your display and use calibration commands. You want to define standard conversion parameters instead.

"Gamut_Measurements" is for display calibration during media playback. This command only supports measured coordinates.

"Output_Primaries" is for special purposes like e.g. reencoding video. This command mainly supports shortcuts to the well knowns standards (e.g. "0" for "HD"). But it also supports custom coordinates, in case a reencoding shall be done to a custom format, not directly supported by yCMS through a shortcut.
So, if I understood it correctly: for HD sources (input and output formats will be the same), I can use the "Gamut_Measurements" command to set the measured coordinates of my display. But for SD sources, if I want them to be reencoded to HD (which I do), it's better not using that command, and set input_format to NTSC/PAL and output_format to HD. Is this right?
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote