View Single Post
Old 20th June 2007, 14:36   #3  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@iRobie

I would just like to say that I think Handbrake and MeGUI are both admirable frontend apps for encoding into H264... but I'm a big fan of AutoMKV and it would be well worth your while to give it a test-drive... certainly the Farrari of the whole bunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRobie View Post
I'm taking on the project of (finally) converting my 400 DVDs to mkv files for playback to a 47" HDTV. I'm playing back the files on a Windows computer using CoreAVC.
I couldn't help but notice that you are encoding for a 47 inch HD TV...
I have done some tests on the Band of Brothers and concluded that that you would get better quality by upscalling to the full resolution of your TV... probably 1440x800 for 16:9 movies...

I've used LanczosMTPlus and Q22-CQ-CRF with excellent results (+/- 2Q depending on the movie) ...
This system is really only geared for high-bitrates with the aim of transcoding a 9 GB DVD Mpeg-2 anamorphic movie (super elastic) onto a single 4.5 GB DVD... high-quality (superbit) lower-res movies should also work fine...
Your encodes will take a lot longer but therein lies the beauty of the final product...
I should mention that anything less than a dual-core system will struggle to finish your video library collection anytime this century...

I would even go so far as to say that the quality is eminently superior to DVDShrink.

Pascal

Last edited by delacroixp; 20th June 2007 at 15:28. Reason: Anamorphic
delacroixp is offline   Reply With Quote