View Single Post
Old 31st December 2001, 15:12   #4  |  Link
MR2Spyderoo

Anamorphic is a good thing

Let me introduce you to the "good things" about widescreen.

The TV format of 16x9 is not going to go away. There are many reasons for this, and I'll just let you guess what they are.

Anamorphic, if you do not understand what this means, is the "better" way to introduce a widescreen picture to a widescreen TV (i.e. 16x9 TV, or HDTV)

Actually, I'm not going to go into why it's better to view a movie in its original aspect ratio, so I lied on the first line above.

I would suggest you learn how to spell "lose" though Kedirekin

One more thing - there are always new technology coming out (or being improved upon, or getting cheaper). Try not to limit yourself. Go to the store and LOOK at the new TVs. I would like to plant a seed in your head. Just CONSIDER buying a 16x9 TV sometime in the future. Also might I suggest a computer that is better than a Pentium II? (that is an insult by the way )

Advanced stuff: (the fearful need not read further)
DVD rewritable is coming down below $500 (buy.com?) Media price (blank recordables) usually make the switch-over prohibitive (too expensive) - yet still worth considering.
An even better solution is to set up a computer for all video playback. No, you do not need a Gigahertz computer - it's really the playback hardware that you need to worry about, not the CPU speed.

My solution: (this is just one proposed solution)
Use an old technology DVD playback card (naming names: Creative Labs DXR2 - or Hollywood+ card ??forget name).
Plug in the HDTV as a monitor using RGB connector (not SVHS or conventional TV-out).
The TV/monitor might be limited to 60hz but what the heck, it's still close to HDTV resolution, or much better than NTSC. The PC will then handle all aspect ratio issues, and scaling issues. The resulting picture will be stellar.
MR2Spyderoo is offline   Reply With Quote