View Single Post
Old 5th August 2003, 07:29   #10  |  Link
FredThompson

Irony because of all the talk about chroma problems with DV? No.

No, I'd like to understand how to determine when and how to correct chroma shift from NTSC VHS source. The VCR I use is a JVC HR-S7600U and it's got various TBC and digital filters. Those help a lot but I don't think they will do anything to correct problems in the source. IOW, If a tape was copied from a tape without correction, the chroma would be positioned incorrectly but the VCR's filters wouldn't know that.

The process of properly re-locating chroma on the frame is what I do not understand.

Also, any filtering such as CNR for VirtualDub is somewhat of a puzzle to me. It's got a lot of settings but I have no idea which to tweak and why.

I understand many of the principles but don't feel I am proficient with correcting problems from VHS source. Whenever possible, I prefer to use AviSynth instead of VirtualDub because my capture is primarily MPEG2 hardware (ADS Instant DVD 2.0) or DV (Canon camcorder passthrough) and destination is MPEG-2 as either XSVCD or DVD.

That's why I'm asking if there is a good how-to thread already. Certainly, I'm interested in learning. If you would provide some guidance, I'd appreciate it.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote