View Single Post
Old 27th March 2004, 04:21   #11  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

tylo, being able to generate the optimized DVD elementary streams via auto SVCD mode is interesting to me. I certainly did not do a very good job of explaining my thoughts on the method, so I very much appreciate your vote of confidence. As you know, it allows the use of SVCD auto-mode and the conditional filter to create DVD elementary streams that achieve the user preset Q/quality target while ensuring the final size is always on the edge of a user specified DVD increment (1/4,1/8,1/16,and it sounds like 1/32 in the release, of a DVD disk). This ensures absolutely no wasted space, so it it easy to author multiple movies on one DVD with matched quality using one's favorite authoring tool.

However, I think the method is rather 'one off' for most people, and in fact I doubt the technique will be used much. So, I don't think it is worth too much additional effort on your part except for the segment increase [and multi-segment reduction upon conditional filter success. 32 segments would be perfect!]. That is very good news and thanks a lot for even considering it.

After the new D2SRoBa and DVD2X releases, I'll do a small writeup on the method for those that want to experiment with it.

On that note, I wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to the two releases (finally), D2SRoBa and D2S together allow extreme high quality (the highest IMHO), the highest speed, and the ultra minimization of file-size to be all rolled up together in one solution for both SVCD and movie-only DVD. It is a winning combination that should be around for a long time and I think a ton of people are going to really appreciate the huge effort both you and D2S have put forth. Especially after they download them and see the end result of all these impossibly long winded and flatulent threads. (:-D!)

Last edited by DDogg; 27th March 2004 at 17:14.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote