View Single Post
Old 13th November 2011, 15:49   #223  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Still seems to be raising the black level considerably and introducing some discolouration near black. Will give it another try this weekend.
That seems to be an effect done by LittleCMS, even with “black point compensation” disabled (it's disabled in 0.16. I tried enabling it, but it didn't seem to have any effect). I believe it's linked to the fact that the device doesn't have a perfect black level, so something that should be perfectly black in theory will get cut off to the minimum that the display supports.

What I tried doing to work around the issue, at the cost of accuracy near the blacks, is “warping” the curve near the bottom, bending it to fit within the monitor's envelope. This is what “LinkICCGUI” does internally, but it relies on yCMS's calculations, which doesn't currently support spectrophotometer readings.

I'll see if there's another way to get the desired effect, maybe by pre-scaling values to fit into the black level.

If you can work out the ratio of your monitor's black level to your monitor's white level (ie. its contrast), and pre-scale the XYZ values by that factor, it might have a desirable effect. This would be a simple command in LutScript: Scale(contrast, 1) where contrast is the ratio of black to white (a very small figure). This would be put in between IccSingle and ColorDec.