View Single Post
Old 20th August 2004, 04:56   #129  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

@AmigaFuture

Your question is about container and player capabilities, and has nothing to do with DivX, per se.

The AVI container is incapable of housing a subtitle stream, nor can it manage chapter marks. With AVI, subs must either be "burned in" as part of the video images, or they must be retained in a separate file.

What external subtitle formats are supported during playback, if any, will depend upon your AVI player. The issues are the same for standalone players as well as PC-based players. For example, my standalone player doesn't support any external subtitle files, nor does the Windows Media Player.

But, in Windows, one can use DirectVobsub to overlay subtitles with any DirectShow based AVI player, such as Windows Media Player, as long as the subtitle format is understood by DirectVobSub, and file location and naming convention rules are adhered to. Obviously, one can also use some software AVI players that understand subtitles, such as BSPlayer or ZoomPlayer. These may support a broader selection of subtitle file formats. In the same fashion, a standalone player that supports external subtitles should have a list of supported formats, as well as any other restrictions that may apply to their use.

If I recall correctly, OGM and MKV containers both support chapter marks and subtitle streams. Unfortunately, I don't know the capabilities of your hardware player, but based on your description, it appears it doesn't understand the OGM container.