View Single Post
Old 11th May 2007, 14:14   #1021  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Dealing with irregular cadences

I know this is a Purist thread, in a (mostly) Purist forum, but I'm looking for some simple advice in handling conversions of my HDTV captures to Xvid. I routinely capture ABC TV shows that have been converted by the local affiliate station from the network's original 720p to 1080i, and then sometimes they are also time-compressed. Bottom line is they started life as Film and along the way get messed with--they're mostly 3-2 but then sometimes 3-2-2-2-2-1-3-2-3-2 etc w/no repeating pattern. 95% of the time my conversions look great, or at least "good enough for me" using this:

tfm().tdecimate(hybrid=1)

On rare occasions the above doesn't do quite as good a job as I might've hoped (the 23.976 result is more herky-jerky than I'd like) and I wonder if there is a new-or-better script I can or should use for these captures.

Bear in mind please that I don't want to analyze/count frames for each & every conversion I do--I'm not looking for perfection; I just want to choose a "good enough" method (a compromise) and stick with it if possible. TIA for any advice...
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote