View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2003, 02:30   #9  |  Link
FredThompson

It's a huge discussion but what you describe sounds like 2 things: the noise of capture increasing your storage bandwidth, the need for proper filtering.

If filtering is done properly, it reduces the random inconsistencies of noise. Done improperly, it makes the image cartoonish. By way of comparison, satellite MPEG2 transmissions are typically less than 1G/hour of material, higher for premium source like specialty movie channels, pay-per-view, etc.

I have an All-in-Wonder Radeon but don't capture with it anymore. Maybe things have changed with the more recent models. That one did not have proper sampling. Now I use DV passthru or a hardware MPEG2 encoder at a very high bitrate.

DVD handles all kinds of resolutions and bitrates. TANSTAAFL so there comes a point where you'll have to decide which is cheaper, your time to fiddle with the captures or the media. I, personally, prefer to use a higher bitrate to keep detail under the theory that storage costs and space will continue to decline so it's better to do it "right" than to do it over, if "doing it over" is even possible.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote