View Single Post
Old 18th January 2006, 11:16   #19  |  Link
Daodan
unrecognized user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDivide
Okay you lost me here. I can see 718/354 = 2.028 and 720/480 = 1.5. The 1.777 I understand but when you say I get X and I should mulitply it with the height resolution and get 850/354 you lost me. As far as I can see I don't know what X... and I don't know what I'm muliplying it with to get 850/354....I feel dumb but honestly I don't see it...
That X is the display aspect ratio of your encoded movie (2.4 in your case). You should be able to see an increase in the image quality (if you use a high enough bitrate, otherwise that extra resolution will only lead to blocking). At least in PAL dvds the difference is very clear (but here the loss of height resolution is much bigger at resizing than in the case of NTSC). Of course this anamorphic thing was made mostly for widescreens but in the case of monitors the resolution is big enough to take advantege of this even if they aren't widescreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenouch
Ok. So, I have to enter SAR=8960:6480 in meGui.

1) From a technical point-of-view, is SAR just a flag in the encoded stream or is there an internal resize in x264 before encoding ?

2) In this case (SAR=8960:6480), what is the value I have to enter as DAR ? 16:9 again, or 1:1 because AR is "managed" in x264 stream ?
Yes, it's just a flag, otherwise this hole anamorphic thing would be almost pointless. Let's say you have a PAL dvd with no borders in 16:9. To keep the hole details you should resize to the enourmous size of 1020/576 wich would take a lot to encode and a lot to decode. In case of anamorphic the decoded resolution is 720/576.
For question number 2 I'm not sure what you mean, you use either SAR OR DAR because they are related (height/width=SAR/DAR). (As I said before, it's less confusing if you just enter the DAR in matroska muxer after making an encode without resizing).