View Single Post
Old 27th February 2006, 17:55   #5  |  Link
tedkunich
Potentate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698
I was waiting for someone to say that
Yes, of course it's debatable, but let me explain my reasoning.
If your card caps in CCIR656 format, that's 4:2:0 or 4 pixels/luma, your resolution is 720x480 Y, 360x240 U/V. If we call this "720x480 resolution", then any increase must be spoken in different terms. My technique caps 720x480 Y, 720x480 U/V. You cannot store that resolution in a mpeg2 without loss. The only way to keep this true color resolution is with 4x larger mpg file.

Or if you prefer, call it true 720x480, because usual 720x480 was never true. But be sure to call DVD quality not true 720x480 either.

Besides this debate, is the reality. I've tried it, and it does look better to me, even a test DVD with frequency tests shows better U/V response. And it's a hidef source sent at 4:4:4 (apparently). That just shows you - it takes a hi-def mpg2, downsampled, to make true 4:4:4 color.

What if I said I could also cap 480P? Is that an increase either?

There are also theories of perceptual resolution. Usually the saying goes, we can't see colors in hires. So how come I can see fringes of colors in s-video? It's too low color rez vs luma rez.

I don't know what card or the source you are using, but both my AIW and my CX2881 based cards can both capture in YUY2 (4:2:2) format. I have never noticed any color fringing as you describe (primarily LD and OTA caps) using either card - I NEVER cap using any MPEG codec... I capture to AVI using HuffYUV.

As to your capture problem, it could be one of two things (as it always is with analog capture) your source device or your capture device. Your source could be smearing the chroma information, i.e. poorly designed or defective electronics, or your card is garbage, i.e. poorly designed or defective electronics. It does not take much of a phase delay (common in poorly designed electronics) to introduce artifacts in the chroma vs luma overlay. Cables with too much cross talk/leakage can also cause similar problems.

I think it would behoove you to read up on luma and color as used in the current video standards (NTSC or PAL) and see the relationship between them - more is not always better Improved bit depth (4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0) only delivers greater color accuracy, not detail.

The idea of using multiple captures to improve the final results is not a new idea - search the Avisynth forum for a filter called TooT and its derivatives. They perform a pixel by pixel averaging accross three caps and toss any outliers producing signifiantly reduced random noise in the final capture - the do nothing to improve the resolution of the end result.

T
tedkunich is offline   Reply With Quote