View Single Post
Old 26th February 2009, 23:40   #8394  |  Link
SomeJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post
DD+ on HD DVD and on Blu-ray have very little in common and it's unlikely you'll ever get it to work, as a Blu-ray player expects never to see HD DVD-style DD+ tracks and won't know what to make of them.

I wonder whether a dual-format player might have better luck, though? I don't know how separate the HD DVD/BD sides are to these things.
Well, yes, that's what I've read. But it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Why would DD+ be so fundamentally different on HD-DVD compared to Blu-Ray?

No other audio codec for the two formats is different. AC3 is interchangeable, as is all flavors of DTS, PCM, and even TrueHD. (The one small difference on TrueHD is that on HD-DVD, TrueHD can exist without a lossy AC3 core because HD-DVD has TrueHD as a mandatory-support codec, whereas on Blu-Ray, TrueHD is an optional-support codec, and therefore the lossy AC3 core is required).

Why would only DD+ be so fundamentally different that it would be the only audio codec that's not at all interchangeable?

I'm just looking for a bit more insight and explanation than "they're too different", because I'm not sure I can believe that.

Perhaps it's just a question that we don't know enough about the specifications of the format on Blu-Ray (I believe there's only one commercial Blu-Ray disc that uses DD+), or some other knowledge-block that would prevent us from currently being able to do it. But I highly doubt that the two incarnations of DD+ are just fundamentally different.