Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2013, 16:11   #43  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Nice to see you SEt! Some of the problems you have listed are exactly why I started my fork. Obviously, I can't correct all of them, like the GPL issue. But we can help the rest! I agree that there isn't anything better yet than Avisynth, and while VapourSynth looks promising, Avisynth is still better in many aspects ATM, which is why I'm putting my energy into Avisynth.

CVS, VC6, the hacks, the C++ interfaces and all those /are/ bad, but these can be helped. I'm removing hacks like the one you listed one by one (many of them are already gone in my sources), and AFAICT porting to new software is finished - with the exception of a last bug that Groucho reported, but I've found the reason for that too. My hope is that by porting to newer software, getting rid of the old and deprecated cruft, and by being more open to submitted patches, we'll be able to breath some new life into Avisynth and invite new development. Additionally I'll be making small improvements here and there too. I hope to push my next set of changes to GitHub soon.

Groucho2004:
After some more investigation, I believe I have found the real reason for the changed exception behavior: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/550451/will-new-return-null-in-any-case .