View Single Post
Old 1st March 2019, 12:03   #55066  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
The projector will always be there for nostalgia.

But without a custom graded movie designed FOR the very limited ANSI-contrast ratio, It's never going to look RIGHT, because the intent is so far mismatched.

Going forward with big tvs being so affordable, I don't think projection has much to give on standard HDR media, Unless they include a projector grading on the disc..

That is probably much more relevant a Pursuit/ ask from the Disc manufacturer by projector enthusiasts, than Madvr's dynamic tonemapping with regards to Projection.

You would demand this through the projector companies, who would then leverage industry to produce the grading.
I can agree all HDR content should have a grade for projectors, but the projector market might never be large enough for that to happen. Tone mapping can be an adequate replacement until that happens.

Dolby Cinemas uses a special 107 nit grade for HDR movies, so this isn't unheard of.

There could be some that want to use this tone mapping with an HDR TV. I think the bigger issue is knowing whether or not you need or can get better tone mapping with better technology. And maybe this box is meant to do other things, as well. Tone mapped HDR has become too complicated to understand.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote