View Single Post
Old 14th April 2009, 17:25   #271  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I see two or rather three circles (light, dark, light) around that ear ring with Lanczos8.
Yes, I see. For my eyes it is not enough to annoy me that much. The ringing at the fonts are much more obvious. I think I'm more sensitive to aliasing than to ringing.

Quote:
Have you tried SoftCubic50? Yeah, it's not as sharp as Lanczos, but it's just as aliasing free as Lanczos (I think) and adds no ringing at all.
Yes, I tried it and I don't like it. It looks like bicubic scaling with additional low pass filtering. Aliasing is still there. It is only not that visible, because the frequency response is worse than with normal bicubic scaling and aliasing is located at the highest frequencies. The problem here is that the effective bandwidth is lowered and details are also affected by the low pass filtering. The picture looks much softer than with Lanczos or Catmull-Rom.
Btw in terms of bandwidth Catmull-Rom looks like Lanczos3, but with a bit less of ringing and a bit more of aliasing. I still prefer Lanczos8 when watching DVD's. On a big screen any aliasing or lack of detail becomes clearly visible. In my eyes the inherent ringing of most DVD's covers the little additional ringing caused by the scaling algorithm. Just my two cents.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote