View Single Post
Old 7th January 2004, 14:46   #15  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
even the AAC(+) from RMVB?
sure if there is a way to unpack it from the container real uses (this excludes drm'ed he-aac files)

sirber
thats the beauty of an open standard like mpeg-4 (which aac is part of):
many suppliers can offer different implementations of the open standard and they all are compliant with each other!
the same goes with mpeg-4 video (like xvid, divx5, 3ivx, nero digital are all mpeg-4 codecs)

but to be 100% spec compliant you would have to use the container defined in the mpeg-4 standard and thats mp4 (also not avi)!
i guess real will use their *.rm container, but the aac bitstream in it is 100% complaint with a he-aac bitstream produced by nero for example (and i am pretty sure coreaac will handle it)
the great thing with an open standard is you can choose which implementation you like best (as both will not produce the same quality for example)

and thats why i dont like proprietary formats like wmv9 and rv9, as they dont follow an open standard, which everyone can follow and everyone can build a codec following this standard

Quote:
Originally posted by bilu
By MP4 container do you mean audio-only MP4 streams?
yes as a first step
as rv9 and rv10 isnt mpeg-4 complaint they cant really put such realvideo streams in mp4, which means that mp4 could only be used for aac audio in real

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote