View Single Post
Old 10th January 2003, 18:08   #41  |  Link
Xesdeeni

Quote:
but why though does it go away when i have the preview on and set to 352x288 ??
Good question. Without knowing what the drivers, software and hardware are doing, I'm just guessing. Maybe they do a different filtering when you are in preview mode.

In order to do analog-to-digital conversion, you have to limit the input frequency to avoid aliasing. The optimum (maximum) frequency of that filter is called the Nyquist frequency. Variable filters are more expensive, so most cards use a set filter. To get the most out of their card (making it more attractive to you and me), they normally set the filter near the Nyquist frequency for the highest resolution that they can capture. Then when you choose a lower resolution, they have to do some extra work. In the worst case, they just throw out pixels. In the best case, they do some filtering elsewhere.

Perhaps your card has a filter with two different settings, and in the preview mode they use a lower frequency. Again, I'm just making a guess here, but a lower filter would smooth out the artifact.
Quote:
oh and point one cant be down,

max caputre is 640x480 and it comes out clear but blocky, like blocks across the screen bout 10 in the whole screen

looks weird
I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the lines are smoother, but there is now a new problem? Can you post a frame with that visible?

Xesdeeni
Xesdeeni is offline   Reply With Quote