View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 08:33   #11  |  Link
Ditto666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Re-read Midzuki's post. He talks about stereo.

Depends on bitrate. I've always preferred ac3 over dts. dts has more wow factor, but I've always preferred ac3 more natural sound.
That sounds about right. And yeah, just realized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
Your thinking has been multiplied by "-1" or something.

As I had said,

2-channel MP3 @ 256kbps ~= 2-channel DTS @ 576kbps,

so,

5-channel DTS @ 1440kbps ~= 5-channel MP3 @ 640kbps

Also, it seems you believe
"there cannot exist 2-channel-only DTS streams below 754kbps".

I only know DTS surely «cannot be the best».
But what else is there? AC3 Is the only competition I see though I don't prefer it. I realize there could be stereo DTS though I've just never seen it. No matter what source I've seen, it has always been about the same bitrate with 5.1 channels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebchat View Post
Considering that DTS doesn't have channel coupling, it would be a hard stretch to call it a "superior" technology. In my opinion, I can't see any reason to use anything besides AAC for lossy audio (all lossless codecs are the same, obviously).
Now I see why one of the rules is not to ask for opinion >.< Each person said something different. I've heard people say that it's stupid to use AAC. With my experience, I'd agree, but I also see why some what say what you did.

Alright, let's put it this way... In terms of CLARITY, DTS is the most superior. In terms of how it sounds, that's arguable... Anyway, this is going off topic. I'm essentially sitting here with two version of a DTS album, one with retarded "surround" mixing but with good bass, and one with decent surround but without an LFE channel. Doesn't seem to be a way to satisfy the query so I'm not really sure what next...

Last edited by Ditto666; 4th May 2010 at 08:36.
Ditto666 is offline   Reply With Quote