View Single Post
Old 21st July 2010, 20:10   #11  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Thanks, I guess you knew that already!

It will be interesting to see whether any studio is brazen enough to produce a BD movie (Star Wars? Titanic? Avatar 3D?) which REQUIRES a player firmware update and which then INCLUDES a stealth update to force Cinavia.

We'll update with caution!
My fear is far worse than that. I'm not sure how much trouble they'd get in for implementing my thought, though. *IF*, and I really don't know if this is possible but, IF players made before Q4 2009 (all players since have Cinavia built in....surprise! ) can be updated by firmware to detect Cinavia, then there is a really ugly possibility. The AACS LA could revoke the player keys of all players that don't support Cinavia but could support it with a firmware update. This would force everyone with such a player to update in order to play original discs. Please understand that this is fear mongering speculation on my part. Simply a brainstorming "what if/what is possible" scenario. I don't even know if a firmware update would make older players detect this nonsense. But if so, then my scenario isn't impossible to imagine. All it would take is popping in a new disc that has your player key revoked and a "hey, you need a new firmware to play um ANY disc" message and poof...game over for that player and backups that contain Cinavia. And since all the studios have signed on to use this, it's only a matter of time before this gets nasty.

Oh, and you media streamer people...don't get so complacent. I've seen evidence that the WD Live players support Cinavia. So, streaming a backup of one of these discs will trigger it on those devices, too. What a pain.