View Single Post
Old 16th November 2015, 20:37   #34291  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
the frame jumping back and forth is still there though, as are the issues when using the gtx 980 for output and qs for decoding and deinterlacing.
a quick guess on my part: I once had a user reporting problems and after some digging we found out that uploading to the gpu was extremely slow for him, when uploading to rgb textures, but was much faster when uploading to nv12 surfaces. In order to test this, please activate dxva scaling and zoom into the image a bit, so that dxva scaling actually gets active. This forces madvr to upload the frames as nv12. When doing that, do the qs problems go away? The subtitle positions are probably a completely different topic.
Hi madshi, you were right, the settings are reset, both the file and the registry entries get deleted, so that's not the reason why the subtitle positioning got fixed. In fact, after doing what you asked me, I can now say with certainty that the subtitle positioning issue happens only when DXVA is used for the scaling of the luma and of the chroma. If DXVA is not used for scaling, then the subtitles are at their proper location in the image. It's as if DXVA is used for scaling, then the subtitles are kept at their original position in the frame in absolute values, which is now somewhere in the middle-left part of the image. And yes, using software decoding + DXVA scaling also shows this issue; it's not related to QuickSync.

When "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled" for QuickSync, then the frames were sent interlaced to the renderer and since "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" after a madVR reset settings, madVR was using DXVA to do the scaling and that's why the subtitle positioning issue was always happening in this configuration.

These are my results when using QuickSync for decoding, but the resizing and video output are performed by the GTX 980:

1. With QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled", DXVA is always used for deinterlacing, and these are the playback results:
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and there are no issues with switching fullscreen and back, nor with skipping in the file, nor with subtitle positioning
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used, and there are issues only with subtitle positioning; I find it strange that luma DXVA is used in this configuration - is this normal?

- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and just like for DX9 there are no issues whatsoever
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> just like for DX9, luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used, and there are issues only with subtitle positioning

2. With QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = enabled", QuickSync is doing the deinterlacing, and these are the playback results:
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and if you just wait after opening the file, the sound plays but no image, the madVR buffers stay at 1; if you get impatient and start skipping in the file, past the scrolling credits part towards the talking heads segment, you might get lucky and get unstuck and playback is smooth as if there's nothing wrong; skipping again might prove lucky, or you might get stuck again on some frame freeze, and you might even get in a state where the sound gets moving but the image is like refreshing one frame every few seconds or so, or not recovering at all, but you can close the playback in the player without issues (so the player does not freeze); no issues with subtitle positioning
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above

- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above

- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma DXVA + chroma Bicubic -> luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used (again, is this normal?), and there are all the issues above + the issue with subtitle positioning
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma DXVA + chroma Bicubic -> same as for DX9

I think it's fair to also say what the results are with EVR CP:
- with QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled" -> no issues whatsoever
- with QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = enabled" -> I get the same issues as with madVR (in this configuration with the GTX 980 for output; there were no issues when the iGPU was used for output!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Hi madshi

I have posted in the LAV thread an issue.

With the new madVR0.89.17 play the DVD Aliens(test dvd without the big-vobs) with 4:3 format (menu and video), but it should be 16:9. With EVR it plays fine with 16:9 format.
I confirm there is an AR issue for DVD playback myself, with a DVD of my own. But this is not new, it's here since at least 0.89.15 (did not test further back).

The copyright notice is 4:3 and is displayed properly, the studio intro is also 4:3 and no issues, and then the menu appears, which is a static image, and should be displayed as 16:9, but madVR displays it as 4:3. In EVR it's 16:9. No sample from me, but I think there needs to be the two videos included as well to reproduce this, and I don't know how to cut the vobs with the intro videos in.

Last edited by KoD; 16th November 2015 at 21:09. Reason: added EVR CP results
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote