View Single Post
Old 29th August 2005, 21:13   #32  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheSheep
<> 4-5 references are the typically accepted maximum. However, if you have a little bit of extra time on your hands (or a beefy computer), consider using up to 8 references (which decode just about as fast as 5, according to my Pocket PC AVC benchmarks).
my psnr comparisons showed that references over 5 dont really bring any quality increase but will slow down decoding
It's quite concievable that different processor architectures on PPC vs PC could lead to different results. I'm not defending them, just saying.

Quote:
Quote:
<>\ When they become more widely available for use, take advantage of custom H.264 quantization matrices. The x264 codec currently (rev. 285) does not support this feature.
it does
True, but decoders don't. (I think ffdshow's support for it was buggy when I tried last month, and no others worked at all.)

Quote:
Quote:
<> Use a maximum of 1 B-frame. It is NOT recommended to use consecutive B-frames on very-low bitrate content. I have proven this with the thread entitled "The Coolness of B-Frames." The WORST place to use a B-frame in H.264 (or many other formats for that matter) is on low-bitrate, low framerate, streaming, animated content.
well i wouldnt call this to be proven at all, after all the purpose of b-frames is helping in low bitrates too...
B-frames help to a certain point, however below a certain framerate & bitrate they lower subjective quality. That section's about ultra-low bitrate streaming encodes, where assumptions from low-to-mid quality encodes don't all hold. (By that point the whole video looks like trash to me, but I'm not the target audience.) A few threads have come up about this.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote