View Single Post
Old 12th January 2003, 22:30   #59  |  Link
karl_lillevold

alternative audio formats with RV9

With smil you can mix any format that can be played with RealOne. So currently, you can mix RV9 and WAV. I tried to create a WAV file containing AC3 using headac3he, and mplayerc/AC3Filter showed that the file indeed contained 5.1 AC3 channels, but sounded like random noise, so clearly my AC3-WAV creation did not work correctly.

Still, with the SMIL code at the bottom, I could play back this RV9/AC3-WAV combination in RealOne on Windows (but still sounded like random noise). I'll post an update if I can figure out the proper AC3-WAV creation method.

With regards to other formats than WAV you will need a file format plugin and renderer plugin for RealOne to be able to read them. For instance, if you try .ac3, RealOne will phone home and try to find a file format plugin (unsuccessfully). Such plugins should not be terribly hard to write -- perhaps a nice challenge for someone in the Helix Community? It would be nice to play back .ogg / .ac3 / .aac files in RealOne.

More challenging, but technically possible given Helix source code, one could imagine an .ogg file writer in producer, writing out RV9 + Vorbis audio, and the matching Ogg file format plugin and Vorbis audio renderer for playback in RealOne. I won't speak for what the Helix licenses say about this possibility, just that it is technically possible.

Example SMIL code:
<smil>
<head>
<layout>
<region id="VideoChannel1" left="0" top="0" height="304" width="720"/>
</layout>
</head>
<body>
<par title="audio video mixer test">
<video src = "stream2.rmvb" region="VideoChannel1"/>
<audio src = "stream2.wav"/>
</par>