View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:32   #1  |  Link
serhannn

HEVC Decoding process

This is probably explained in great detail in the standard but I need to see the "big picture" on the following topic: Lets assume that I have a compressed HEVC bitstream and I do not want to fully re-construct the pixels; or in other words, I don't want to go through the full-decoding but I need only some certain information such as motion vectors (MVs) and DCT coefficients from the compressed bitstream for further processing with this information. To achieve this, entropy decoding must be done in any case (de-CABAC). However, I'm not sure how much computational effort (relative to the full decoding) is needed in order to be able to extract MVs and DCT coefficients from the bitstream after entropy decoding. Regarding that I have two questions:

1. Is that possible at all in HEVC to do such partial decoding?
2. If yes, what is the approximate percentage of computational time spent on obtaining the DCT coefficients compared to the full decoding (total reconstruction of pixels)?

Of course, this can be highly dependent on the respective decoder implementations, I guess, but I just want to have an insight into the subject to see if it is really feasible to do such partial decoding and "compressed domain" processing in HEVC.

Thanks a lot.
serhannn is offline   Reply With Quote