View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2003, 05:41   #3  |  Link
Kedirekin

If the file is 4.57 GB, it can't be FAT32.

Actually, you probably reached a size limit in the various softwares you tried to open it with. I doubt many audio software makers ever expected anyone to open 4 GB wav files. The largest size they probably anticipated was 800 MB from CDDA, and maybe smaller than that (since CDs are usually split up into tracks).

By my calculation, 4.57 GB is equal to 463.62 minutes of audio (assuming a 44.1 KHz 16 bit stereo stream), so it looks like all the audio is there.

Incidentally, 39 minutes is about 394 MB - I have no idea why WMP would truncate it at 394 MB, but then WMP has always been a little odd.

Now the question is, what are you going to do with that huge WAV file? You probably want to encode it to some other format, and who knows if the encoding tools will have any similar file size limits/assumptions. You can only try it and see.

Alternatively, it sounds like the original format was not WAV (based on the fact that you used WinAMP to create the WAV). If that is the case, you may be able to find a tool that converts it directly from the original format into the format you want, thereby avoiding the file size issue altogether.

Last edited by Kedirekin; 23rd November 2003 at 05:44.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote