View Single Post
Old 25th July 2009, 02:33   #205  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnoitra View Post
There's only two reasons to buy a BD, one is HD video, the other is HD audio. Otherwise DVDs are much easier to work with. Throw away the HD audio and you're removed half the value of a BD. If people are happy with this (as the existing users and authors of Ripbot/MakeMKV apparently are), more power to them. But I don't get why the authors of these tools won't add such support, it's very easy. I spent a week writing a python script automating BD->mkv just so I could get the HD audio. Oh well.
While I personally tend to agree that keeping the HD audio is a requirement, for others it simply isn't. They want the HD picture and can live with non-HD audio. I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they're looking for. Just because it's not what you or I want, it doesn't make this product any less valid. And at current, MKV as a container doesn't support HD audio formats. I believe you can convert it to lossless FLAC or something like that and you'll get lossless HD audio in an MKV container. Perhaps that's something they'll consider adding to this product in the future. But as it stands now, this product is designed to convert a BD to an MKV. And there are many people seem to like the concept.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote