View Single Post
Old 27th March 2007, 06:29   #20  |  Link
DJMichaelAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegre View Post
I was playing with this problem that night too and came up with a somewhat different solution using a different approach. Since it was getting late and DJMichaelAngelo had already posted, I didn't bother to post myself at the time. But I want a car too!

No seriously, this is actually kind of an interesting alternative. Compared to what it sounds like DJ made, my resulting AVI has the disadvantage that you will need ffdshow installed with FLV enabled (I forget if that's a default), or perhaps some other FLV codec, but with that in place it will play fine in MPC, VLC, Windows Media Player, and probably anything else. In fact it'll play in VLC standalone, without ffdshow.

Now on the upside, my version is only half the filesize and is lossless from the original - the video was not re-encoded. For technical reasons the audio has to end up getting re-encoded, but that's no biggie considering it's just 22KHz 48kbps mono voice to begin with (the same thing it was re-encoded at).

I created it with mplayer, or more precisely it's sidekick "mencoder". It was only one step to get from the flv to the avi, though it wasn't exactly straightforward to come up with the correct command line - mencoder doesn't understand the framerate of the FLV, and if you want to avoid having it either skip frames or put in a zillion duplicate empty frames, yet still be synced with the audio, it's kinda tricky. FYI, after some analysis and trials, this is the command that made the file:

mencoder test.flv -noskip -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=0:br=48:mode=3 -ofps 15.440 -o covance.avi

and your final result is here: covance.avi (3.97MB)
Wow. You and Squid80 could start a company together - you are both such geniuses *lol* How did you ever learn stuff like this? I wish I had a friend here in town (Chandler, Arizona) who could sit me down and teach me all these neat little tricks for video ripping and conversion, etc. I think you're right about that FLV codec - I downloaded your .avi file and when my WMP version 11 opens it, the audio plays just fine but not the video! *lol* I know it's a problem on my end though, because my friend's computer plays the file with no problems. So my project for tomorrow (other than stealing some cars for you both) will be to figure out what codecs I'm missing, where to find them, and how to download them! (something I'm even less of an expert at) Thanks again!
DJMichaelAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote